|Year : 2019 | Volume
| Issue : 2 | Page : 170-171
Dr. T. R. Gururaja Rao
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, V.S Dental College and Research Centre, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
|Date of Web Publication||20-Aug-2019|
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, V.S Dental College and Research Centre, VV Puram, K.R Road, Bengaluru - 560 004, Karnataka
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None
|How to cite this article:|
Smitha T. Dr. T. R. Gururaja Rao. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2019;23:170-1
Dr. T. R. Gururaja Rao was born on August 6, 1950, at Budikote village, Bangarpet Taluk, Kolar district, Karnataka, the golden valley. He had an exemplary academic career, having done his BDS from Government Dental College and Hospital, Nagpur, in 1972, as a first-batch student.
He got MDS seat at three different centers in India. He chose to study periodontology at Government Dental College, Bengaluru, in 1974, and was the first from Maharashtra to have attained the MDS seat in 1976.
Dr. K. S. Bhat recognized his interest in academics and made him to join the College of Dental Surgery in 1976. With his hard work and interest, he was awarded the prestigious Commonwealth Senior Medical Scholarship tenable at the Department of Oral Pathology, Dental School, London Hospital Medical College, London, in 1984. He was awarded the Master of Science in oral pathology in 1984 from the University of London under Prof Newell Johnson and Prof D. W. Williams. In fact, he was offered to continue his research in porphyromonas for PhD.
On return to India, he served Manipal in various capacities and rose to become a postgraduate professor, the head of department and a vice principal.
In September, he returned to Bengaluru and took up position as a professor and the head of department of periodontology, oral pathology and community dentistry. The bonds which he continued till 2018. In those days, there was paucity of teachers in oral pathology. When all is said and done being a postgraduate in oral pathology, it was an honor to work and established oral pathology departments at
- V. S. Dental College and Hospital, Bengaluru
- Dayananda Sagar College of Dental Sciences, Bengaluru
- Oxford Dental College and Hospital, Bengaluru
- AME Dental College and Hospital, Raichur
- JC Dental College, Sirsa, Haryana.
As opportunities came, he became the founder principal of Dayananda Sagar College of Dental Sciences.
Over the four decades of academics, he has contributed immensely in the subjects of oral pathology, periodontology and community dentistry. He was the president of
- The Indian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathologists
- The Indian Society of Periodontology
- The International Association of Dental Research
- Vice President of the Head Office, Indian Dental Association.
He has authored three books
- The Comprehensive Textbook of Periodontology
- The Textbook of Community Dentistry
- A Chapter for General and Oral Pathology for Dental Hygienists.
He was an awardee for four fellowships
- Fellow of the International College of Dentists, USA
- Fellow of the International Association of Dental Research
- Fellow of the Indian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathologists
- Fellow of the Academy of General Association.
Furthermore, he also holds
- Distinguished Faculty Award from Manipal College of Dental Sciences during Golden Jubilee celebrations
- Distinguished Periodontologist Award from Pune
- Famdent Award as Academician of the Year 2016.
The Government of Karnataka and Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences honored him for four decades of services for Karnataka.
The Indian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathologists felicitated him at Amritsar as past president and contributions in oral pathology in India.
As a postgraduate teacher in periodontology, he has over thirty postgraduate students under his supervision who have passed out and are on coveted position. Incidentally being a postgraduate from the University of London, he was denied to be a postgraduate teacher for oral pathology, but he has no regrets.
Dr. Rao has traveled extensively and presented scientific talks at Colombo, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Seattle and various centers in India.
Dr. Gururaja Rao and his wife Pramila who is a retired assistant executive engineer, Government of Karnataka, are blessed with two children: Dr. Suma Rao who is a practicing dentist and Hrishi Rao who is a software engineer at Chicago, USA.
Financial support and sponsorship
Conflicts of interest
There are no conflicts of interest.